What the Wenches Are Reading

Source
In spite of a really big book release happening in one week, the Wenches’ reading agendas have changed pretty dramatically since last we shared. Dead Ever After still hits shelves next Tuesday, but only a few Wenches are still excited for it, and only two of us are still prepping for release day. The rest of us have moved on to other interests — some bloody, some funny, and some virtual palate-cleansers, being radically different from the Urban Fantasy we have been enjoying. Click through to see who is spoiler-free (regular readers might be surprised!) and what the rest of us are using to drown our sorrows.

As always, be sure and tell us what you’re reading, in the comments below!




Amanda: I’m carrying on with my SVM reread, even though half the fandom has been blown to bits by spoilers from the soon-to-be-released Dead Ever After. I just finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris. When I read DITF the first time, I was still really into the SVM. This was the first book I had to wait for, because it hadn’t been released when I first read the earlier books in the series. Well, the first time around, I wasn’t real impressed. This second time around, same. I felt like I had to force myself through it. I didn’t feel that way with the earlier books.

Anne: This week I read the latest book in the Alex Cross series: Alex Cross, Run by James Patterson. It was a pretty stellar addition to the series, but heartbreaking at the same time. And I started Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, again. There’s another new Patterson book coming out this week, 12th of Never, so I didn’t want to start something new, and I’ve been meaning to go back to Mockingjay for awhile.

Angela: Yes, I’m the only one (I think) still reading The Southern Vampire Mysteries, as I haven’t gone into meltdown until I read the the last book, then I will give my judgment on it. Reading Dead Reckoning this week.

Barbara: I was in the middle of For A Few Demons More, and struggling with a certain relationship, when I accidentally read a major spoiler for the series that burst my bubble even further. Combine that with other devastating literary news this week, and I needed something lighter. So I decided to try the Jane True books that Beta quotes on occasion. I started Tempest Rising on Saturday, and am thoroughly enjoying it. So funny so far, and a great escape from my literary woes. Just what the Wench doctor ordered!

Beta: Life has been interrupting my reading time, but I I’ve started rereading Tempest’s Fury, book number 5 in the Jane True series by Nicole Peeler. Better refresh my memory before the last book in the series comes out in May.

Donna: Like Veronica, my reading plans have also unexpectedly opened wide up. I just finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore, which is the first book in a YA fantasy series. I liked it, but it was not what I was in the mood for. I’ve been house bound while recovering from chipmunk cheek (a la wisdom teeth surgery), so I watched all 13 episodes of Hemlock Grove on Netflix. I downloaded the novel by Brian McGreevy yesterday, so I’ll be reading that over the next few days. I found the campiness and gore just what my blood-thirsty mood was calling for. *wink

Katherine: Not reading anything this week. Feeling a little blah so I’m going to take a break and start up again next week.

Kathi: I’ve had almost no time for reading or listening to the historical novel I brought on vacation: Katherine by Anya Seton. I’ve enjoyed the few pages I have managed to read very much, and look forward to getting back home where I can pay proper attention to it.

Merit: This is Harrison week. First: Kim Harrison — you can find me this week with her Rachel Morgan in book 4 of The Hollows series, A Fistful of Charms. I like the world building and the characters more and more. Rachel tries her best to stay a “good” witch, but somehow her magic grows more demonic, as she tumbles from one disaster to another and escapes by the skin of her teeth. Second: Thea Harrison’s book Dragon Bound, first in her Elder Races series. This is a paranormal fantasy romance that is H.O.T., sweet, funny, and magical, with an Alpha hero and a clever, witty heroine. I didn’t expect to enjoy it very much, but I did!

Natalie: Well I just finished a series reread of The Black Dagger Brotherhood series this weekend. So this week I have plans to read from my TBR list, starting with The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, then moving on to The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Once I am done with those two, I plan on moving to Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. If I am lucky enough to breeze through those three, I plan on starting The Poisoner’s Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York. Oh yeah and the want ads! Still searching for a job!  

Veronica: My reading plans have unexpectedly opened wide up. I’m glad to have time to return to the Channeling Morpheus series by Jordan Castillo Price. I’m on Snare, the 7th novella. I didn’t realize how much I missed Wild Bill and Michael. I also got drawn into a great 33-chapter Supernatural fanfic last night, so I’ve got plenty to keep me busy.

Zee: Been sick as a dog, and dealing with certain crappy literary news. So no reading for me this week.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)