What the Wenches Are Reading

Source
The vast majority of the Wenches are still recovering from last week's heartbreak. A few of us didn't want to touch the latest release with a 10-foot pole, but like a train wreck, many Wenches needed to find out if it was really as bad as all that. Some muscled through to the bitter end, and some decided it wasn't worth the trauma. Click through to find out how each Wench fared with The Book That Shall Not Be Named, and what we are using to cleanse our literary palates. 

Don't forget to tell us what you're reading, in the comments below!



Amanda: I finished Dead Ever After. Actually, I stopped reading with 12% left. I could not go on after Sookie said, "That was thoughtful." Then, I read Damon Suede's Horn Gate, which was very different and complex. I was pleasantly surprised.

Anne: I, of course, read the train wreck that was The Book That Shall Not Be Named. And now, to soothe myself, I went back and started Cut & Run by Abigail Roux again. Ty & Zane always make me feel better. Though knowing what I know now, my heart is breaking with every page for Ty and the emotional turmoil I understand so much better now. I'm also eagerly anticipating Inferno by Dan Brown, which comes out today!!

Angela: Just finished The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows #6) by Kim Harrison. A bit slower than previous installments, but a great ending. I can't wait to read the next book. Thanks, Donna! This was a fantastic recommendation. Also read The Book That Shall Not be Named (Anne, perfect name for That Book), and I am still heartbroken. I can't believe what has been done to readers of this series!!!!

Barbara: I finished Tracking the Tempest and started Tempest's Legacy, Jane True books 2 & 3. I'm really enjoying these, since they are a light, funny, sexy, interesting series. So far. I'm having a bit of literary PTSD, so I'm nervous about a few points, although Beta assures me that all will be fine in the end. Jane is funny enough to keep me interested, and I'm fascinated by her growth, so I'm still devouring pages. Zee has encouraged me to take a smut break, so I might check out her recommendation after I finish these last 100 pages.

Beta: I read DEA. It involved a LOT of breaks on my part to be able to get through it, but yep, I actually read it. Even though I'd read a whole bunch of 1-star reviews before picking it up. This book was a huge disappointment from the beginning to the end, to put it mildly. The 1-star reviews, however, were awesome, and I give them the 5 stars I thought, only three weeks ago, I would be giving DEA. Which gets only 1 star from me... and fewer if that's an option.

Donna: I haven't read any books this week, but I did read lots of DEA rants, er reviews. There have been so many excellent posts from readers, and I want to say kudos to them for taking the time to share their thoughts and opinions about The Book That Shall Not Be Named. One thing for sure, this has been the most controversial end to a book series I've ever encountered. Truthfully, most of my potential reading time has been taken up with watching hockey playoffs.

Kathi: I was curious to read more about Katherine Swynford, so I picked up a biography, Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster. So far I’ve found it a little dry, and I’m not able to stay awake for long when I finally sit down to read at night. And it unfortunately isn’t suitable to listen to while gardening—the continual citing of source materials and conflicting information causes me to lose track of the narrative flow. I feel like Goldilocks: Anya Seton’s Katherine was too fictionalized, this version is too dry... but there really isn’t much concrete information about this intriguing woman, and much must be inferred and hypothesized. I’m torn between finding something easy to listen to, because I’m going to be spending a lot of time in the garden for a while, continuing the biography, because I’m quite taken with this historical period and these characters, or just saying screw it and listening to Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4, where I left off in my reread). But I know where that will lead, and I was hoping to get a few other things read before I indulged myself so shamelessly. Time will tell. In the meantime, the reviews and rants for The Book That Shall Not Be Named (or Read by Me) have been fascinating and cathartic.

Merit: I started DEA, but after about half of it, left the sinking ship. So I'm rereading Voyager (Outlander #3). This is one of my favorite books in the series, as it has everything in it: adventure, humor, love and passion, some magic, pirates, and even one strange Chinese man. I can read this story forever.

Natalie: Well, I had the best intentions of completing Little Women and the first two books of The Sisters Grimm last week; however, I killed several brain cells and read Dead Ever After. To soothe my hurting heart, I did get started on The Sisters Grimm and am just shy of halfway through the first one. It has been a great balm, as it has had me laughing a lot at its very corny and cute jokes. This series about two sisters who are fairy-tale detectives, ages 11 and 7, is a very cute read, especially if you have children in your life to read it with like I am doing. After committing to reading all these books, I tried to use my Saturday wisely and finish Little Women, but was thwarted as I realized that I had bought only part one. In the words of the great Homer Simpson, D’oh! So my goal next week is the same as last week's: to finish Little Women, read the first two books in The Sisters Grimm series, and try to avoid a case of the shiny-new-book syndrome so that the same books aren't still on my list next week.

Zee: After two attempts to read DEA, I gave up. Finished the The Great Gatsby. Need a series that will completely get me over my DEA funk. For now, I started Megan Hart's Dirty, and oh my... it is JUST what the doctor ordered! 

Veronica: Yes, I read Dead Ever After. It was a tortuous and painful experience. Immediately after, I bleached my brain with some light and delightful fanfiction, and then Friday I started Among the Living, the first book in the PsyCop series by Jordan Castillo Price. I'm only a chapter in, but already I'm intrigued by the premise: a world in which detectives are paired, one with psychic powers of some sort and one "normal" person.

Comments

  1. Angela - You're welcome! I'm so glad you're enjoying The Hallows. :-)

    Barbara - The Jane True books are great - perfect for cleansing the palate IYKWIM.

    Zee - Dirty is a great choice! I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Megan Hart. *cough (Broken)

    Everyone reading anything by Diana Gabaldon - always a good choice! I'm in such awe of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book. I should have finished it inside of 5 hours of reading time, therefore *easily* manageable on a Tuesday night when from 8 until 1 we have people over and I'm not involved in the game they're playing. It took me THREE DAYS to finish this book. It was AWFUL. From beginning to end, the whole thing was just crap. I scarcely remember any of the actual details, thanks to my mind blanking it for me, but I do remember tomatoes and seals. And that's enough.

    I am a perpetual rereader. I read series. Then I reread series before a new book comes out. Then I reread the lot again to make sure I "got" it all. I can't face trying that with this book. IT WAS THAT BAD.

    Anyhow. I, like Anne, have dropped myself back into the world of Cut & Run. A place where there is foreshadowing three or more books ahead, where the characters are reading true to type, with an author who loves her fans as much as they love her, and who interacts with them, and allows them a chance to help drive the creative process. It. Is. Amazing. It soothes my hurt heart and battered mind to read well-thought-out books that don't insult the reader. It is a joy. And I am loving every minute of it.

    Sadly, what this means in terms of future reading is that I am currently incredibly gun shy. I have a nook full of Nalini Singh and Richelle Mead, a rec for Diana Gabaldon, Stacia Kane and Kim Harrison, and a few Kelley Armstrong, Jordan Castillo Price, and Kresley Cole to finish... and I'm *terrified* of them all. I've hit the point of WHAT IF?!? and I am taking comfort in the known (and adored), in favor of trying something new. It's downright sad, and while I'll get over it eventually, the notion that I, as a reader, *could* be betrayed... That's something new to me, and I need some time to crunch the numbers around that one. ;.;

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)