What The Wenches Are Reading

Source.

Most of the Wenches have been reading quite a bit this week even with real life keeping us fairly busy. A lot of us have picked up each other's recommendations, some are rereading old faves (which happens a lot here.) A new release from the King of Horror himself had one Wench excited! And Harry Potter also found his way onto our reading lists! Some of us are trying something new entirely, which is always exciting!


Click through to see what we've been up to this past week.


Angela: This week I'm reading The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2) by Amanda Stevens. I am really enjoying reading about Amelia Gray. There's just something about her that I connect with. However I would be a nervous wreck if I was able to see ghosts. I can't wait to get through this book and onto The Prophet  (Graveyard Queen #3).  

Anne: I didn't get much reading done this week. I had to work more hours than normal. And, my son actually slept well this week, so there was much less middle of the night reading.

Barb: Feeling a little lost last week I cracked open a UF favorite that I have been wanting to reread for some time, Unholy Ghosts, the first in Stacia Kane's phenomenal Downside Ghosts series. Unfortunately that book is a Nook book that I was reading on the app on my tablet when I got latest greatest Android system update, which the Nook app cannot yet talk to. Saucy readers, I am bereft! All of my best books are in my Nook app, and even though B&N knew a month ago that the app couldn't talk to Lollipop, it still doesn't work and they don't know when it will! After some wailing and much deep breathing I remembered that the main reason I got a tablet and not another Nook was so that I could read on other platforms, after which I remembered that there was a book I had gotten from NetGalley that I needed to read for review. So I finished A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev this afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I don't read many stand-alones these days, and certainly not stand-alone romances, so this was a lovely surprises. A sweet romance with depth, look for a review soon.     

Care: It's always feast or famine with me, isn't it? This go around... I made it through Armed & Dangerous, Stars & Stripes, and have started on Touch & Geaux, plus finished our read aloud of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, starting on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I also plowed my way through No Humans Involved, Industrial Magic, and Imzadi. I'm not entirely sure when or how I slept, now that I think of it.

Kathi: I’ve been trying a few new recommendations for quick reads before I dive back into one of my TBR series. This week I read one of Angela’s picks from earlier in the year,Written in Red. This book was quite different than anything I’ve read in a long time: Urban fantasy, set in a world that seemed just enough familiar to feel comfortable, and yet totally alien. It was a bit slow getting into for me, but as soon as I quit trying to listen to the audio book it went much faster and I became completely absorbed. Looking forward to reading the sequel next week.
 
Merit:  At last I read Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews. It was a fun quick ride: mystery, action, magic, humor, and romance are all blended together so well. As usual, I have to wait for the sequel, sometime in 2015.
 
Zee: This week I read Stephen King's new release, Revival. It was an EXCELLENT read. While I might not have LOVED the ending, the book was just SUCH a good read it didn't matter. I also read more of Thea Harrison's Elder Races series, I definitely prefer Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series for one shot couples in each book, but the world and politics are kinda fascinating, and the first and second books were definitely the weakest. Oracle's Moon is quite interesting. I even enjoyed the novella True Colors. But Serpent's Kiss was probably the best read in the series so far. These will never be on my list of faves, but they're okay for when you have nothing else to read and are in the mood for smut and some fantasy. I'm now in the mood for more Stephen King though! So reread The Tommyknockers (depressing) and The Dark Half (My first Stephen King... ) this weekend. Now I'm wondering if I should start a new King novel I haven't read before, or keep rereading old faves. 

Comments

  1. Zee, you almost convince me to go on reading Tea Harrison's Elder Race. I read the first book and half of the second, but lost interest, maybe I wil try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, they aren't very good.. the series definitely improves (the first one was pretty bad for me.... but a lot of people enjoyed it. The second was also kinda meh.) I'm honestly reading these cuz of the smut factor and I have nothing else to read in that department. Plus the different fantastical creatures have me intrigued (esp in books 3 and 4.) If you have nothing else to read right now, go for it. Otherwise... maybe spend your time reading something better hehe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)