What The Wenches Are Reading.


Real life is keeping some of us away from our regular reading, because it's selfish like that. But the rest of us have been trying to get in as much reading as we can! 

As always, we've got some brand new reads on our lists as well as old favorites which demand to be reread! We hope you find something new to add to your ever growing TBR! 

Click through to see what we've been reading. And feel free to share your reads of the week with us, or recommend something in the comments below!




Angela:  I’m still continuing on with reading A King’s Ransom by Sharon Kay Penman. I’m waiting on Richard I to be ransomed so he can save his kingdom. I also picked up And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. What can I say but Zee gives wonderful recommendations. It’s my second Christie book this year and I couldn’t be more pleased that I’m giving these books a go. It was easily a five star read from me. What more could you want from a murder mystery? Nothing! If you haven’t read it, you really, really should. I’ve now made a start on Grave Peril (Dresden Files #3) by Jim Butcher. Enjoyable urban fantasy read so far. I think I just love the fact that I’m reading UF where a male is the lead character.

Barb: I started Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, but didn't get very far. I started rereading a favorite but didn't get very far. I read a 30 page introductory novella, which was pretty good, but didn't open the first novel. I'm skimming Alisha Rai's Glutton for Pleasure, a very sexy distraction, and that's going pretty well. Here's hoping this funk breaks soon.

Anne: I finished Part & Parcel this week and now I'm on to the fringe Cut & Run universe books. I started with the Bone Orchard. I'm also a little more than halfway through Written In My Own Heart's Blood. I am loving this one.

Kathi:  This week I read Arabella of Mars, a swashbuckling science-fiction adventure that was a bit reminiscent of Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs crossed with some Patrick O’Brian and and Jane Austen — with a smattering of Joseph Conrad, some Black Sails, and a whole lot of Arya Stark thrown in. Set during England’s Regency period, Arabella has been raised on Mars, which is a British colony, but at the age of 16 she’s forced back to London when her mother begins to fear she’s becoming too unladylike to find a suitable husband. Arabella soon becomes aware of a plot to murder her brother on Mars and runs off to warn him. She signs up as a (male) laborer on a starship, which looks a lot like a wooden clipper ship, and becomes embroiled in numerous life-or-death situations adventures (including pirates!) that let her heroic character shine. This was a fun read with lots of cool gadgetry! The author is planning to write more books about Arabella, and I look forward to reading them!    

Merit:  Last week I started reading Arcana Rising, Book #4 in The Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole. I decided to pause my reading after only a few chapters, and go back to books #2: Endless Knight, and #3: Dead of Winter. I found I need to reacquaint myself with the story in order to go on with the current book. Now I’m at the end of Dead of Winter, Ready for Arcana Rising.

Zee: I've been busy and on a sad (not because I want to be) reading hiatus. I was recommending Alisha Rai's books (yes, all of them) to a friend and have realized that her books really help me with my reader's block! (Usually it's regency romance, and it's been Amanda Quick for most of my life.) So rereading the crazy sexiness that is Tatiana and Wyatt together on page, Bedroom Games. Who knows, I might either reread more of her stuff, or attack my very long TBR! 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)